Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Rice Sausage

Rice Sausage

I am including this only because it I know my grandparents used to make this when they were young.

I don't know that I 'd be able to bring myself to make it yet alone eat it but decided to share the recipe here.

So much of this they probably did from seeing their parents make it.  It is almost less of a recipe and more suggestions  very few exact measurements I'm sure it was something they knew by feel.

I'm guessing it looked sort of like this:?
Image result for blood rice sausage slovenian

anyway...So its not lost to history:

Here is the Recipe:

Cook heads, lungs, kidney, heart, extra pork or some soup meat.  Grind when cool.   Cook Rice,(5# for about 2 or 3 quarts of blood)  in water from meat.  Do not make too soft or watery.  

In big container mix ground meat, rice, cracklings(about 1 quart) and blood.  Also add some melted lard if the meat is quite dry, add some crushed pickle spice, marjoram, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon and allspice.  Salt to taste.  Stuff casings.  (wash casing, run water through.  cut to size desired) When sausage is made and tied, cook for about 10 minutes to set blood.  Cool well.

No comments:

Post a Comment